Many of our lab resources are available for external use. Please contact Prof. Ferguson with use requests at Virginia dot Ferguson at colorado dot edu.
- Hysitron TI-950 Nanoindenter
- Three transducers: Dynamic (~18 mN max load), 2D (for indentation & scratch; 12 mN max load), and Multiprobe (500N max load )
- Multiple dry and fluid cell probes: Berkovich, Cube corner, Conicospherical
- Extended Displacement Stage
- High temperature stage (up to 200°C)
- Renishaw InVia Raman Spectroscopy System
- Confocal Microscope
- Red and Green lasers
- Wire analysis software
- Fiber Optic and software connectivity to enable Raman Spectra measurements of material surfaces placed on the Nanoindenter XYZ motorized stage
Funded through a 2013 NSF Major Research Instrumentation Award to Prof. Ferguson, this novel instrument is housed within the Engineering Center and operates as a core facility instrument. This system is currently a one-of-a-kind and enables independent or combined assessment of nano- and micro-mechanical properties and material surface chemical analysis at matched length scales.
To request training or data collection using this system, please contact Prof. Ferguson directly at Virginia dot Ferguson at colorado dot edu.
Internal University of Colorado users can also submit a request to use either the Nanoindenter, Raman, or both here.
Materials Testing Equipment
- MTS Insight II Materials Tester
- 2kN, 250N, 5N, 2N load cells
- Multiple test fixtures for compression, tension, and bending experiments
- Custom visual (window) confined compression testing fixture
- Specialized testing fixtures for microscopy of soft materials during testing
- Environmental chamber with temperature controlled water bath
- Veeco Nanoman II Atomic Force Microscope
Materials & Histology Preparation Instruments
- Resources & expertise for plastic embedding bone and metallurgical specimens
- Exakt Specimen Preparation Tools for Bone and Calcified Tissue Histology
- Exakt 300CP Band Saw
- Exakt 400CS Grinder
- Exakt Adhesive Press
- Buehler Specimen Preparation Tools for General Sample Preparation
- Isomer Low Speed Diamond Blade Saws x2
- Ecomet Polisher
- Band Saw for large sample preparation
Life-Science, Tissue Engineering, & Biology Resources
- BSL-2 Tissue Engineering facility including multiple biosafety cabinets, incubators, etc.
- Zeiss Axioskop 40FL Upright Florescent light microscope with polarizing filter option
- Numerous confocal and two photon / secondary harmonic generation microscope in our lab and in these other facilities:
- RT-PCR, Western blotting, and full histology preparation instrumentation
- Computational Cluster with licenses for Abaqus
- Institutional site licenses for Matlab, Origin, and other software
- Group-Owned: COMSOL, Adobe Creative Suite
- Group expertise with: R, SPSS, SAS, NIH ImageJ